Respitality Scotland (respite breaks + hospitality) is a new project that has been piloted in Fife for about a year and originated in America in the 1980s. Its aim is to connect hospitality providers such as hotels, guest houses, leisure clubs, restaurants etc with Carers by providing a gift of a short break. This enables a Carer and a companion to have a break away from their caring responsibilities to recharge their batteries and have a little time for themselves.
Drawing on the American model, Shared Care Scotland, is working in partnership with Dumfries & Galloway Carers Centre to establish a Respitality project here in Dumfries & Galloway and also 3 other Carers Centres in Scotland.
Examples of a break could be an overnight stay in a hotel, guest house, a voucher for a meal at a restaurant or a day-pass to a leisure club or spa, there are lots of possibilities.
Please note: this is not a holiday but simply time-out at a time of need.
In Dumfries & Galloway, Carers wishing to take part in Respitality can register their interest by completing and returning the form below or by calling Dumfries and Galloway Carers Centre.
There are a few points to bear in mind when registering for Respitality:-
- The break is for a Carer and one companion where relevant.
- The break is non-transferrable and Carers must take photo ID with them to identify themselves to the Provider.
- Carers are responsible for arranging alternative care, should it be required, to allow them to take up the Respitality break they are offered.
- Carers must make their own arrangements for any travel required to get to the Respitality venue.
- Although the Respitality breaks are offered to Carers without charge, the range of facilities included in the offered break vary according to the provider and Carers are responsible for meeting any costs that fall outside of the offered Respitality break.
If you find that making arrangements for alternative care or transport is difficult, please contact Dumfries & Galloway Carers Centre and we will help you look at options. We hope to have reasonable notice of breaks but some may be made available at fairly short notice.
Allocation of Breaks
- Dumfries & Galloway Carers Centre will keep a register of Carers who are available for breaks.
- Breaks will be allocated on a first come first served basis, however, consideration will be taken regarding the type of break and the needs of the Carer.
- If a break isn't suitable to a Carer, it will be passed to the next person on the register. Carers will remain at the top of the list until they have taken a break.
Please don't hesitate to contact Dumfries & Galloway Carers Centre for more information on Respitality.
Please complete the attached form to Register your interest.